Identitytheory.com is an online magazine that has published short fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and interviews since 2000.
Quality writing in any format is welcome.
We always offer a free email submission option in addition to the paid Submittable option below. We also have a free Submittable submission period at the beginning of each month.
We do not officially pay for stories, but we offer the following benefits:
- As of 2022, we are nominating for the Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net awards.
- We promote the work we publish and some of the future/additional work of our contributors throughout our five-figure social media following across Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. We also promote the work of our contributors in our newsletter.
- We sometimes send gift bags and special rewards to our contributors. In the past, these have included personalized Yeti mugs, Identity Theory merchandise, and gift cards for donuts.
Simultaneous submissions are welcome long as you notify us as soon as your work is accepted elsewhere.
We are unlikely to accept previously published work.
We do not have a regular publication schedule. Once a story is accepted, it receives multiple rounds of edits and goes online when the time is right.
Queries related to blogging, interviews, reviews, and more go to Matt Borondy at email@example.com.
Please note: Submissions are always open. We always offer free email submissions, and we have a free Submittable reading period at the beginning of each month that runs until we reach our cap.
Paid Submittable submissions are always open for writers who wish to contribute to our site financially and/or would like to keep their submissions in the Submittable ecosystem during the periods when free submissions are closed. The funds from these paid submissions go towards operating costs for our site and do not currently include additional benefits aside from keeping your work in Subimttable.
Please visit the submissions page of our website for instructions on how to submit your writing via email.
Identity Theory is an online literary magazine established in 2000.
We are hiring a volunteer copy editor to help finalize stories, essays, interviews, and other content for online publication.
The estimated time requirement is 3-5 hours per week.
To apply for this position, please email Matt Borondy at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the Submittable form below.
This is the paid submission form for Identity Theory. It exists for writers who want to use Submittable when our free submission cap has been exceeded—or who simply want to support our project financially.
You can use this form to submit fiction, poetry, essays, and hybrid work.
Please note: writers always have the option of submitting for free via email if they don't want the benefits of tracking their submissions in Submittable.
Our complete submission guidelines are available on our website. In summary:
- We do not charge for submissions other than when using this paid submission form.
- We do not officially pay for accepted work. However, we often send gift bags and provide other surprise benefits for our contributors, as a treat.
- We will be nominating this year's best published pieces for the Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net awards.
- We promote stories (and the work of our contributors) on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Substack, and the like. Please join our communities there.
- We are here to help your work flourish. You remain free to seek print publication and other outlets for your work after we publish it, but we prefer to be the only publication in which your piece is published online for a reasonable span of time after we post it.
- For more info, view our specific guidelines for sending fiction, poetry, and essays.
1. Bear in mind that fiction published on Identity Theory has traditionally not been longer than 4,000 words and has rarely included genre fiction.
2. Include a short author biography (50-100 words).
Identity Theory’s nonfiction section is devoted to creative work that is as thoughtful as it is vivid. We are especially interested narrative nonfiction and lyric essays. Take us someplace we haven’t been before, show us something that is not as it seems, guide us with an intelligent heart.
1. Let us know if the piece has been published elsewhere, including online.
2. Bear in mind length should suit the medium—we prefer pieces in the range of 250-4000 words.
3. Include a short author biography (50–100 words), including publishing credits.
"If prose is a house, poetry is a man on fire running quite fast through it."
Without granting preference to any style or school, we seek original, unpublished poetry that engages the reader with a strong voice, no matter what voice is venerating within the poem. The confessional, the political, the humorous, the serious, the narrative and the lyrical are all equally welcomed contributors to the website and to the synthesis of poetry.
- Send three to five unpublished poems.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but please notify us promptly if your work has found a home elsewhere.
- If inclined, you may include brief bio within your email, as well as social media handles.
- Submissions are accepted year-round, and responses are emailed back within two months from the submission date.
- We do not accept translations.